Road Users

One on One with the Police


Road Users

All users of the Road that is, pedestrians and motorists alike, must be aware of the proper use of the road.

If you are driving a vehicle (motorcar, truck or motorcycle) or riding a bicycle, you must obey the directions of the police officer, traffic warden, and all traffic related signs posted or marked on the surface of the road.

If you are a pedestrian you must practice proper road usage. You must try to cross on the pedestrian crossing at all times if one is nearby. To do so you must raise your hand, and WAIT for the vehicles to come to a stop before you step onto the cross walk. The raising of your hand does not give you the right to walk onto the pedestrian crossing before the vehicles come to a halt.

If you are stopped by the police, upon their request, you should present the following documents:

  • Drivers Licence,
  • Road Licence,
  • Carriers Licence,
  • Certificate of Insurance,
  • Registration Certificate and,
  • Certificate of Fitness.

In the event where the Certificate of Insurance, Certificate of Fitness and Registration Certificate are not available for production you have five days in which to produce them at a Police Station convenient to you.

If you are unable to produce your Drivers Licence, you will be given FIVE (5) days in which to do so at the Police Station convenient to you, ONLY if you satisfy the Officer as to your identity.

NB You MUST produce your Road and Carriers Licence on request.

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, you must:

  • STOP to exchange particulars with the other party– unless stopping will pose a threat to your safety, in which case you drive to the nearest police station.
  • Give your name, address, and particulars of your Insurance Certificate, Driver's License to any one else involved in the accident or to the police.


NB. One month grace period is allotted for the licencing of a motor vehicle after the expiry date and to no other documents relevant to your vehicle. During the one month grace period, the expired licence disc must be affixed to the vehicle in the appropriate manner. If the vehicle is licenced during the grace period, the new licence disc must be affixed to the vehicle in the appropriate manner. Failure to do so becomes a ticketable offence.

Power of Seizure of Motor Vehicle

It shall be lawful for any Constable to seize any motor vehicle or trailer used on any public road under the following circumstances:

  • Not being licenced or registered.
  • If the Registration Plates or Licence is obscured, or not easily distinguishable.
  • If any Registration plate is not affixed or kept affixed.
  • Any Public Passenger Vehicles (P.P.V.) or Commercial Motor Carriage (C.M.C) operating without a Road License or Carriers License.

Vehicles seized under the Road Traffic Act are kept by the police or impounded at the governments' pound, until the Act is complied with. However, those vehicles seized for operating contrary to the Road Licence must be released by the court. The driver must be summoned not ticketed before the court at the earliest possible date.

Steps to retrieve an impounded vehicle

  • Pay removal and storage fee to the wrecking company and Transport Authority respectively;
  • Upon payment of these fees, the Transport Authority will give you a document to take to the Police Station to be endorsed by the senior officer or his designate;
  • Once the officer satisfies himself/herself that the necessary fees have been paid, he/she will endorse the document and;
  • The endorsed document is then taken back to the Transport Authority and the vehicle released.