Application Procedures

One on One with the Police


Application Procedures

Spirit Licence

  • A sign must be publicly displayed stating your intention to apply for a Spirit License;
  • Spirit License application forms are available at the Collector of Taxes. These forms must be submitted to the Clerk of the Court as well as to the Superintendent of Police in charge of the Parish;
  • The form must be submitted 21 clear days prior to the sitting of the Licensing Authority.

NB: Members of a community may object in writing within 10 days prior to the sitting, to the establishment of a business to operate a Spirit Licence.

Police Certificates

Persons who require a Police Certificate/Record should visit the Ministry of National Security at 2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5, Mondays to Thursdays 8:30 am to 3:30 pm and on Fridays 8:30 am to 3:00 pm.

You will need:

  • A valid Jamaican passport is needed for certificates requested by the embassies and missions. Other identifications will be accepted for local job clearances.
  • Two passport size photographs certified by either a Justice of the Peace or a Notary Public.
  • Appropriate fee payable in cash or a certified managers' cheque.

On payment applicants are given a receipt which should be taken to the Criminal Records Office at 34 Duke Street Kingston, where the applicant is fingerprinted. The regular service takes 21 working days while the express service is completed within 3 working days.

Dances/Stage Shows

  • Visit the Parish Council and pay the Entertainment Tax. Upon payment of the applicable tax, you will be given a receipt.
  • An officer will visit the premises to determine its suitability for holding this function.
  • The Superintendent in charge of the Division reserves the righ to reject any application if he/she believes that there is a threat of any imminent public disorder or safety issues.
  • If permission is granted you will receive your permit authorizing you to hold this function. You must comply with the terms and conditions of this permit. Failure to do so will result in prosecution and may affect future applications concerning the applicant’s premises where the function is held.

Marches and Public Meetings

Every citizen has the right to demonstrate peacefully without breaking the law. It is advisable to seek the advice of the police if you intend to march or hold public meetings. You render yourself liable to prosecution if the following is not complied with:

  • Apply and obtain permission from the officer in charge of the area where the march or demonstration is scheduled to take place.
  • Once permission is granted roadways must not be blocked by persons, vehicles or debris of any kind;
  • No marches will be allowed at night; that is, between 6:00pm-6:00am the succeeding day.


Passport application forms are available at the Immigration Office located at the Main police station of each Rural Parish or at the Passport Citizenship & Immigration Office at 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 and Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street, Montego Bay, St. James.

You will need:

  • Completed passport application form;
  • Two (2) identical non digitized colour passport size photographs one of which should be certified by the Justice of the Peace/ Notary Public (as prescribed in Section F of the application form);
  • Original Birth Certificate;
  • Original Marriage Certificate, where applicable;
  • Original Adoption Register, where applicable;
  • Divorce Judgment, where applicable;
  • Applicable fees.

If born overseas, in addition to the Birth Certificate, please submit one of the following:

  • Certificate of Naturalization;
  • Letter of Certificate of Citizenship;
  • Certificate of Registration.

In addition, ONE of the following supplementary documents must be presented:

  • Jamaican Driver's Licence;
  • National Voter's Identification Card;
  • Work Permit bearing a photograph from the country of residence;
  • Passport from country of residence;
  • Citizenship Certificate from country of residence;
  • Identification indicating permanent residency;
  • Driver's Licence from country of residence;
  • Other identification issued by a Federal/State/City authority, containing an expiration date (subject to approval by Officer).

Take the completed application form along with required documents to the immigration office in your parish for processing.

The processed documents will be handed to you in a sealed envelope to be taken to Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street, Montego Bay, St. James, where the relevant fees are paid.

Absolutely no fees are to be paid over to the Immigration Officer at the Police station, all applicable fees are paid to Passport Citizenship & Immigration Office at 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 and Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street, Montego Bay, St. James.

Application for Abstract/Accident Reports

  • When an accident is reported, interested stakeholders for Example lawyers and insurance companies will request these reports;
  • The first step in the process is paying the applicable fees at the General Office of the Police Divisional Headquarters, in which the accident took place or at the Ministry of National Security;
  • This request is forwarded to the Divisional Traffic Office which does the investigation and forwards the report to the Superintendent of Police or his designate and, the Superintendent designate will sign the report after conducting his due diligence.

Application for lost documents

If your passport, drivers licence, registration certificate or any other document of significance is lost, misplaced, damaged or destroyed it must be reported IMMEDIATELY to the Police. We will:

  • Conduct an investigation into the authenticity or legitimacy of the report. This investigation may take up to a minimum of two weeks, depending on how complex the investigation is;
  • Once the report is borne out to be legitimate, a letter will be prepared and sent to the relevant agencies (for example the Tax Office, Island Traffic Authority), to have these documents replaced.